Tartrazine is a synthetic yellow azo dye that is used as a food coloring. The E number of tartrazine yellow is E102. Other name of tartrazine is FD&C Yellow 5
Tartrazine is a synthetic food dye. If used alone then tartrazine produces yellow color but if used with Brilliant Blue FCF and E142 Green S it produces difefrent shades of green and blue. Apart from tartrazine food color application in food industry, it is also used in other industries like shampoo, soaps and detergents.
Properties of Tartrazine
- Tartrazine is soluble in water
- Maximum absorbance in an aqueous solution at 427�2
- Molar mass 534.3 g/mol
- Molecular formula C16H9N4Na3O9S2
Application of Tartrazine Dye
It is popularly used in drugs, particularly in shells of medicinal capsules, syrups, cosmetics, fruit cordials, colored fizzy drinks, instant puddings, cake mixes, custard powder, soups, sauces, ice creams, ice lollies, sweets, chewing gum, marzipan, jam, jelly, marmalade and mustard yogurt. Tartrazine yellow is also used in many convenience foods along with glycerine and honey products.
It can also be used with Brilliant Blue FCF for the formation of various green shades, For e.g. fro tinned processed peas.
- Total colour/Assay, percent by Mass, min 85
- Water-insoluble matter, percent by mass, Max. 0.2
- Combined ether extracts, percent by mass, Max. 0.2
- Subsidiary dyes, percent by mass, Max. 1
- Dye intermediates, percent by mass, max. I-P-(Sulfophenyl)-5-pyrazolone-3-carboxylic acid
- Aniline-4-Sulfonilic Acid. 00.50
- Unsulfonated primary aromatic amine (calculated as aniline) percent by mass, max. 0.01
- Lead, mg/kg, Max. 10 8) Arsenic, mg/kg, Max. 3
- Heavy metals, (as pb) mg/kg, max 40
- Mercury, mg/kg, Max. 1
- Cadmium, mg/kg, Max 1
Tartrazine Food Color is used in abundant types of food to give it a color. Despite of such a wide range of application of tartrazine it is not untouched from the side effects and allergies. Generally the tartrazine effects are found in the people who are intolerant to aspirin, fruits, berries and in general salicylates. Often symptoms like anxiety, migraine, weakness, indigestion and patches on the skin are associated with the intake of tartrazine. Few cases of thyroid cancer has also seen with the consumption of tartrazine yellow. But the tartrazine effects vary from individual to individual.